Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The Power of Touch

Ok, so I just had a huge "God" moment while reading about the power of touch.

I was reading an article about the use of intentional touch in the nursing field. Apparently there is a practice of intentional touch called hand and foot care, especially useful with populations who are "touch starved" (homeless, migrate workers, disabled, elderly,etc.).

When I read an anecdote of a nurse bandaging the wounded feet of a homeless man at a shelter I immediately thought of our Savior washing the feet of his disciples, during the now famous Lord's Supper, prior to his execution.

As one who is fascinated with the Lord Supper phenomenon (Jesus radicalized Passover!) because I feel that American Christians have lost the true meaning of the "remembrance" of this sacrament; I thought I had studied this practice from every point of view...until today.

When I was a youth and college minister, I tried to exemplify humility, compassion, and respect to my students by initiating each group with a "washing of the feet" ceremony. I, as their minister, was humbling myself before them in order to express to them that they are valued by Christ and therefore valued by me. It was always a very emotional and extremely bonding experience. Probably a reason why I am still in contact with many of my former students to this day. :)

It was also beneficial to me. Not because I am so amazing to have humbled myself before them, so "Look at me!"...No. It was because I felt connected to them in a way I had not before. We were bonded...in a physical, psychological, social, and spiritual act. This is why I think foot washing was deemed a sacrament.

Yet, I never thought of what Jesus may have received from his experience of washing the disciples' feet. The rest of his life from that point forward is lived in seclusion and loneliness. It is the only point in Scripture where, the community of who God is, is literally divided. God is separated from God in Jesus' death on the cross. What could sustain a fully human/fully God being, who has chosen to suppress his deity in order to experience true humanity, to endure an unjustified torture and death for those who are either absent, cheering on his death, or unconcerned?! Could it possibly be the psychological, biological, social and spiritual benefit he received in the foot washing? Was it that bonding experience that caused him to continue on, even when feeling totally abandoned and betrayed enough to yell out "Father, why have you forsaken me?!"

As I continue to learn more about the psychobiological benefits of touch in my studies, I inevitability filter it through my theological training and my intense fascination with the concept with true community. It is truly a mind-blowing, yet simply beautiful thing to see God's hand in it all. We are truly designed by God to be in community with God and to be in community with each other.

One day I hope I can open a clinic for the touch starved so they may receive hand and foot touch therapy. What a vehicle through which to share God's love and to receive God's love from those who feel they have nothing to offer the world.

Just my thoughts today while working on my ethics paper...Had to get it out of my head and on paper so I wouldn't forget. :) I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'll have more on this later... :)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment